© Danvers State Insane Asylum 2001-2019

THE STATE LUNATIC HOSPITAL AT DANVERS 
HISTORY

"The hospital opened on May 1st, 1878 and Dr. Calvin S. May was appointed Superintendent through 1880"

IMAGES

"Abandoned since 1992 and demolished in 2006, the Danvers State Hospital once occupied a site of over 500 acres"

ARCHIVES

 "Grafton was the first to be shut down, in 1974 Gardner was closed, and in 1975 Foxborough"

THE HISTORY AND ARCHITECTURE

The location orginally intended for Winthrop, the work of the Building Commissioners was finished in October,1877 by Mr. Nathaniel J. Bradlee who designed a gothic modification of a Victorian style hospital based on a echelon/Kirkbride plan. In January,1878 Calvin S. May was appointed its first Superintendent.